Sunday, August 2, 2009

So I kicked my cat in the face

So I've been Photoshopping like it's going out of style. And it is. It is going out of style. In my opinion, anyway. I love photoshop, but I have about 60 pictures to do, and it is getting so old. I have about 20 left, and if you could see the finished pictures, in order, I think you would see a decline in quality and effort. Whatevs. They will never be perfect, so I should just stop worrying about it. I won't finish this weekend as I had hoped, but I will be close. I still have to take a few more pics tomorrow and touch them up, but I think that I will be able to start listing some products tomorrow. Hopefully "real work" won't get in the way. I mean, seriously, real work is lame. Actually it's not lame, but it gets on my nerves when it interrupts my schedule.

Real work is the restoration of a Rosenwald School in the community of Shiloh. Rosenwald schools are named after Julius Rosenwald, the CEO of Sears-Roebuck from back in the day. He took an interest in helping blacks help themselves. He helped fund over 5,000 schools in the southeast. Ours was one of the first, built in the '20's, and we are working on the restoration. We did the design of the landscape and are working on the specs for an accurate restoration. This week we have a presentation to try to help us get grants to pay for the work. The owner of the school and the president of the Shiloh Community Restoration Foundation is Liz Sims. She was a student at the school in the '50's, and is now working to restore it. Our school and 3 others were featured in Southern Living magazine this month, which was pretty exciting. The story is a little old because it features the Auburn Design-Build students who worked on an addition last semester. They are all gone now except one, who is now our construction supervisor. So here is a picture of the site now (click to enlarge):




The building in the foreground is the school, and up the hill is the church. We are working on the landscaping for both. And here are renderings (keep clicking to enlarge):


View as you pull into the driveway.



View of the front elevation.


View of the new plaza.


View of the backyard.


Other than real work and fake work, I have not had much of a life. But do I ever, really? Ha! I'm an old lady trapped in a middle-aged lady's body.


Earlier today Griswald was being particularly annoying, and I chased him into the sunroom, and he jumped up onto the window sill. Not feeling satisfied by simply chasing him, I kicked in his direction to show just how mad I was. At the same time I kicked, he jumped down from the window. Right into my foot. So I kicked my cat in the face. My foot HURTS! It is bruised and sore. I was afraid I broke his neck. But I didn't . He is just as annoying as usual. Cats have 9 lives, and he has now used 3 of his.





No comments:

Post a Comment